A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE:
- Enough money within her control to move out and rent a place of her own, even if she never wants to or needs to.
- Something perfect to wear if the employer, or date of her dreams wants to see her in an hour.
- A youth she’s content to leave behind.
- A past juicy enough that she’s looking forward to retelling it in her old age.
- A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
- One friend who always makes her laugh and one who lets her cry.
- A good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family.
- Eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal, that will make her guests feel honored.
- A feeling of control over her destiny.
EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW:
- How to fall in love without losing herself.
- How to quit a job, break up with a lover, and confront a friend, without ruining the friendship.
- When to try harder and WHEN TO WALK AWAY.
- That she can’t change the length of her calves, the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents, that her childhood may not have been perfect but it’s over.
- What she would and wouldn’t do for love or more.
- How to live alone even if she doesn’t like it.
- Whom she can trust, whom she can’t, and why she shouldn’t take it personally.
- Where to go, be it to her best friend’s kitchen table ora charming Inn in the wood when her soul needs soothing.
- What she can and can’t accomplish in a day, a month and a year.
By Pamela Redmond Satran